Apparently ’tis the season for cauliflower around our house. Please don’t let this white underutilized vegetable scare you away from this recipe. We have served this soup with rave reviews to picky eaters who wouldn’t touch a cauliflower with a 10 foot pole.
“Baked Potato” Soup
- Thinly slice two large potatoes.
- Add potatoes to a pot with 2 cups of milk and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- While waiting for the pot to boil, chop 1/2 head of cauliflower into bite sized pieces and slice one bunch of green onions – separating the whites and the greens.
- Once boiling, add cauliflower and onion whites to the pot.
- Boil approximately 12 minutes until cauliflower and potatoes are soft.
- Add additional 1 cup of milk or add 1 cup heavy cream if you prefer a richer soup.
- Move the soup off of the heat.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup.
- Serve with onion greens as a garnish.*
*Additional toppings we sometimes use include shredded cheese, sour cream and the very occasional crumbled bacon.