There are few things that I have found that do not have an increased flavor when cooked in brown butter. Brown butter definitely takes a normally very healthy vegetable and make it a bit less healthy but the incredible flavor can’t be matched by just steaming or roasting. And sometimes, we go for flavor!
Brown Butter Peas
- Steam 1 pound of fresh snap peas for 6 minutes.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Continue to “cook” the butter, stirring occasionally, until it reaches a nice dark golden brown color. *
- Add in pecan pieces (if using) and saute for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Toss in previously steamed snap peas.
- Saute for an additional 3 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
*This takes some time to perfect and the first several times I tried to do this, I wimped out too early and the flavor was good but not nearly as incredible as a true brown butter recipe should be. Be patient and don’t panic.