Sometimes we all need to stretch our money just a little bit further. This recipe is a hit, much cheaper than take out and uses up some of those odds and ends.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups white rice and 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil – we prefer sesame oil but olive or vegetable oil work too – in a very large skillet or wok over medium high heat.
- Add 1 diced onion and stir occasionally until softened.
- If you are using meat, add it now. We like ground sausage.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Once meat is cooked through, toss in 2-3 cups of diced vegetables such as peas, carrots, green peppers, broccoli, corn, water chestnuts, bamboo.
- Continue to stir occasionally while cooking for 5 minutes.
- The rice should be ready now so stir it into the vegetables and meat.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of soy sauce.
- Toss to combine.
Occasionally, I scramble 2 eggs and add them at the very end but when we use meat I often skip this step.