Around our house we highly enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches. Our standard grilled cheese consists of thinly sliced co-jack between two slices of whole wheat bread. The trick is to a good grilled cheese is patience – medium/low temperatures allow for bread grilling and cheese melting to happen together. Even though this standby is delicious and loved by all, we do like to experiment with creative additions and changes. Today that experiment led to grilled turkey and brie.
Grilled Turkey and Brie Sandwich
- Preheat a griddle or frying pan to a medium-low temperature.
- Butter- yes, real butter – two slices of bread for each sandwich .
- Thinly slice pieces of brie. The trick to thinly slicing brie is a cold knife and cold brie.
- Place one piece of buttered bread onto the surface of your griddle / pan
- Set slices of brie on the bread. You’ll want to leave some space from the edges – brie runs as it melts.
- Top with approximately 1/8 pound of shaved turkey deli meat.
- Spread 2 Tablespoons whole cranberry sauce over the turkey.
- Add the second slice of bread – buttered side up.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the cheese is gooey and the bottom slice of bread is browned.
- Cook this side approximately 2 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before cutting in half.
If you ask us, this grilled cheese begs for a heartier bread such as whole grain or rye. It would also be amazing to use your own cranberry sauce as well – we’re partial to homemade cranberry sauce, recipe coming soon.