We are sharing half a cow with some of our family members. Lessons from sharing this cow . . .
- Everyone wants the ox tail.
- No one else wants soup bones.
- There is such a thing as too much steak.
- Fresh beef tastes better.
- Ground beef comes in crazy abundance!
This is one of my go to recipes for using up some of that ground beef.
Italian Pot Pie
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Saute 1 diced onion, 2-3 diced carrots and 8 oz fresh mushrooms until sfoft.
- Add 1 pound ground beef and 1 teaspoon of ground pepper.
- Break meat apart and stir until browned.
- Once browned, add 2 cups of tomato sauce – homemade works best but a good store bought sauce will work.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, to thicken slightly.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 Tablespoon rosemary and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add 4 Tablespoons of melted butter and 1/2 cup of milk.
- Mix with a fork.
- Drop biscuits on top of the meat mixture.
- Bake at 350* for 12 minutes or until biscuits are beginning to brown slightly.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes before serving – this allows the mixture to set slightly and prevents burning.