Saturday morning at our house is pancake morning. Little did we realize that reading Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to our oldest child when he was two would be the end of Saturday morning variety. No book should ever start “It was Saturday morning, pancake morning” when you’re reading to a literal minded elephant, I mean, a sweet child with an amazing memory. So to keep my sanity, I began mixing up our pancake breakfasts by experimenting with different side dishes, pancake add-ins and homemade “syrups”. Blackberry Orange “Syrup” is one of our new favorites.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 cup blackberries, 3 Tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup of orange juice to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat so the mixture simmers.
- Continue to stir occasionally until the blackberries all begin to burst.
- Using the back of a fork or a potato masher, smash all the blackberries.
- Once all the berries are mashed, continue to simmer until “syrup” thickens to the desired consistency. We prefer thicker syrup so for us that is about 5 minutes.
- Serve over your favorite pancakes.