I love a good breakfast – one you can wake up and smell all the way in your bedroom. Unfortunately, some days don’t lend themselves to an all out breakfast feast, especially those days that the oldest Freeform Foodie needs to leave for school by 7:10. Enter the muffin and scrambled egg breakfast.
Muffins often get a bad reputation since traditional recipes call for quite a bit of oil, white flour and refined white sugar. Now, I’m not saying these are exactly health food but they do check off a few more healthy food choice boxes – like vegetables, applesauce and whole wheat flour.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350* F and grease a muffin tin.
- Beat together 2 eggs, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce, 3 teaspoons vanilla, 1/3 cup honey and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
- Fold in 1 cup shredded zucchini that has been patted dry.
- Add 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon*.
- Stir until combined.
- Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries.
- Pour into the greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*For a more intense cinnamon flavor, we recommend using Saigon cinnamon.